I am often highly amused, sometimes shocked, and always in awe of what goes on inside the mind of a 5 year old.
Today for example, my 5 year old is off for a sleepover at Nana and Grampy’s house. He announced (at a very ungodly hour) this morning, that he was packing his suitcase. Some time later – at a more respectable hour, this is what I found…
- Bear. He couldn’t possibly sleep without his furry and very imaginatively named ‘bear’. Who else would he talk to about his day before he goes to sleep and plan the day’s activities when he wakes up in the morning?
- Wash Bag. Maybe he does listen to me after all! Although I think this is only there as I had packed it the night before! Let’s face it bath-time is about bubble beards and submarines. The washing part is just boring.
- Candle Torches. Although he is incredibly excited about his sleepover, my big man also gets a little worried about not being in his own room. He has packed himself some lights in case he gets scared in the dark. I love how he thinks ahead. However note the lack of clothes for the next day and clean underwear, so clearly hasn’t thought past the sleeping part!
- Mr Men Story Books. Notice how he has sneaked 3 in there because he knows he can get away with extending his bedtime at Nana and Grampy’s.
- Batman Pj’s. Because what self respecting 5 year old doesn’t have superhero pj’s, right?
- Harry & The Dinosaurs CD. One of his favourite CD’s to listen to at the moment. Although he hadn’t actually put the CD in the case. It was empty!
- Random Plastic Playmobil Plant. Just in case???
And that is apparently all you need for a sleepover. Although Nana has just left with his case and an additional three bags filled with stuff he might need but probably won’t! Maybe I should learn something from his packing skills!